My Trip to Munich

As some of you may know, I went on a 3-day trip to Munich with my auntie between Christmas and New Year. While I was there, I visited my long-lost German uncle (remember him?) and met his lovely wife, and they showed us around the city, bringing us to three amazing restaurants, giving us a bundle of guides and maps, and teaching us a bit of German along the way! We were completely blessed with the weather while we were there (it was actually much nicer in Germany than it was in Ireland, which was experiencing a minor hurricane at the time!) which meant that we could spend each day wandering around the city.

Day One

After a very early morning and less than 2 hours sleep, not to mention a 3-hour flight delay, we finally arrived at our amazing hotel which was right beside the Alter Botanischer Garten. As we arrived a lot later than we had expected, we decided to just have a little walk around the city to get our bearings. We ventured as far as Odeonsplatz, a huge square of buildings with the most beautiful architecture. I just had to get my camera out! We later explored Maximilianstraße, probably the most expensive street in Munich, which gave me a great chance to eye up the windows of the D&G, Chanel, Gucci, Versace and Bulgari shops. I also got to check out the Tiffany's Christmas window display, which was so adorable! We then went to eat and walked back to our hotel via Promenadeplatz, seeing some gorgeous Christmas lights and an unofficial Michael Jackson commemorative monument!







1 - Our Hotel | 2 - The Alter Botanischer Garten | 3 - Vespa parked outside our hotel
4 & 5 - Views from the Odeonsplatz | 6 & 7 - Window Display in Tiffany's
8 - Max-Joseph-Platz | 9 - Sleeping Beauty Window Display | 10 - Christmas Lights on Promenadeplatz

Day Two

On our second day, we visited Gärtnerplatz, which was described to me as Munich's Soho. This was probably the highlight of the trip for me - it consists of a central circular plaza with a number of road branching out from it, with each street housing the most unusual and unique little shops. From dedicated stationary shops with handmade wrapping paper and birthday cards, to antique shops selling vintage cameras and bavarian kitsch, to independent handmade jewellery shops, to Scandi-style design shops - there were so many things to see. Afterwards, we walked back towards Max-Joseph-Platz, where we went for dinner in a traditional Bavarian restaurant across from the Nationaltheater München, the opera house. On our way, we passed through Viktualienmarkt, a market square. Unfortunately, many of the shops were closed but certain types of stalls have special opening hours, such as flower shops and bread shops, so we could still have a peek at some of what was on offer! On our way home, we also passed the Neues Rathaus, the New Town Hall in Marienplatz, where we also saw the famous Glockenspiel. I probably took nearly 200 photos on this part of my trip alone, so I'm showing only a snippet of the day here! 
1 & 2 - Views from Gärtnerplatz | 3 - A beach-inspired display in a jewellery shop
4 - A lovely café-come-flower-shop | 5, 6, 7 & 8 - Antiques in shop windows | 9 - Vintage cameras in a shop window 
10 - A bakery in Viktualienmarkt | 11 - A florist in Viktualienmarkt | 12 - Neues Rathaus in Marienplatz

Day Three

On the last day of our trip, we decided to be a bit more cultural and visited two of Munich's museums in the Kunstareal, or art area: the Lenbachhaus and the Pinakothek der Moderne. In the Lenbachhaus, I saw a number of works by a group of artists known as 'The Blue Rider', which includes the likes of Kandinsky and Münter, and two expressionist artists which particularly caught my eye, Paul Klee and Franz Marc. The Pinkothek der Moderne, part of a family of three gallerias, the Pinokotheken, showcased an amazing design exhibition which displayed the evolution of home entertainment systems, mobile phones, and a number of different cars and motorcycles. From PS2s, to early Mac computers, to an entire wall made from Audi models, the variety of items on display was just amazing. On the next floor, a display called Afritecture was being exhibited, which showed images, models and blueprints of contemporary build projects located in various countries throughout Africa. What was most interesting about this exhibit was that each element of it was made entirely from paper: from stools, to display cases, to the floor of the showroom!

1 - Old car models in the design area of the Pinakothek der Moderne | 2 - The Audi Wall | 3 - A 1928 BMW motorcycle
4 - Me in a hubcap! | 5 - PlayStation II display
6, 7, 8 & 9 - Old computer models including some of the earliest Macintosh systems
10 - Williams II Typewriter | 11 - Old telephones | 12 - Blueprints from the Afritecture exhibition
13 - Miniature models from the Afritecture exhibition | 14, 15, 16 & 17 - Scenes from the Kunstareal


I hope you all enjoyed these photos! I had such a fantastic time in Munich and my visit really rekindled my love for travelling. If finances allow, I would just love to visit another European city this year, or perhaps finally get around to going inter-railing with my friends. As I usually spend my summers in Ireland, I have only had the chance to travel to Italy and the Netherlands in mainland Europe, and I would really love to see more. 
Where have you travelled to, and where would you recommend visiting?

Hope you're all doing well and enjoying the new year!
Lots of Love,

5 comments:

  1. hey nice post mehn. I like your style of writing. The way you writes reminds me of an equally interesting post that I read some time ago on Daniel Uyi's blog titled How To Build Up Passion In Whatever You Find Yourself Doing .
    keep up the good work.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures, this is somewhere I would like to travel to :)

    My boyfriend and I went interrailing in 2011, it was awesome. Italy was one of my favourite places, Florence and Venice are just beautiful. But, Budapest is also a very very beautiful city and I highly recommend going there. We stayed mainly to the capital cities on our trip, I wish we would have seen more of Vienna and also Berlin (we arrived on a Monday and many places were closed...). Prague is also another city that I really liked and recommend.

    That's all I can come up with :)

    ~ K

    *This is not to plug, just for your personal interest, I have been writing about our interrail trip on my blog, I'm quite sporadic in the writing but I just felt like sharing our little adventure with others. I was thinking if you wanted some ideas of places, then I have been sharing some of my (very amateur) photos. I am determined to get it all finished off in Jan, resolution here we come! Here is the link if you are interested: http://bluehairinbelgium.blogspot.be/search/label/interrail

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful photos!! Looks like a lovely place, hopefully I can visit one day :)

    right-up-my-street.blogspot.com

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chritsmas in Munich is really a special thing. And the pictures are really beautiful. and if you are going to visit munch any time, there is a Recommendation for car rental service in Munich in the link

    ReplyDelete